Pages

Subway Caves- The Gimpy Girl Who Could goes hiking

Monday, October 23, 2017 0 Comments
On Saturday we celebrated one of my best friends birthdays. She requested a day hiking through Subway Caves. I was excited to be invited to come along and up to the challenge.

I had such an amazing day hanging out with Kari and everyone. Sometime its nice just to "be". Driving down the road singing to The Judd's and other 90's country with Kari and Shell just makes everything right. Although it realy made us miss Rylee.


It was a beautiful day. Bits of snow on the way over and fall colors everywhere. The caves were nice and chilly. I came prepared with a flashlight, my walking stick, oh and baind aids... lots of baindaids and a few choice essential oils and a little chair to carry along... but lets be honest, Nessa ended up packing it for me lol.

My sassy little niece, Alyse 😘



There was a few flights of stairs to get to and into the caves. Once in the caves its pitch black and the ground is very uneven. The caves its self is actually lava tubes from Mt. Lassen. For "normal" people its not much of a hike. Just a nice little .6 mile stroll.

Kari, myself and Shell

Me, Shell & Alyse

Alyse loved the caves or as she called the "cages" and didnt want to leave.


It was a nice challenge for me and just plain awesome to be able to do something with my friends that they actually want to do without modifying it to my gimpyness. To top it off, I only fell once... Winning!



 A close up on how rough the ground was. This was the smoother part.






But as predicted, I over did it. Im currently writing this cuddled up on my couch in my dark living room. Living with a chronic illness sucks but hey... Im living. Just look how far I have came and remember. "Normal is just a setting on a washing machine."


Here is a link for more info about Subway Cave in Northern California https://www.sierranevadageotourism.org/content/subway-cave-lassen-national-forest/sieaebfa4539547a2e5a