Pages

18 Month Update

Monday, June 13, 2016 0 Comments
Somehow 18 months has passed since getting Guillain Barré Syndrome. Life has been busy so I wanted to give an update. 

Sometimes I think of the past year and half and can't believe that this is my life. How we made it through. I try not to think of how I haven't recovered as fast as most GBS fighters and the ways I'm still struggling... 

I was told many things about my recovery from the beginning. One of first things that I was told  is that I would survive this. Thanks to modern day medicine I have survived and feel incredibly blessed to have a second chance in life. To live the fullest and like some of my favorite lyrics- "Keep on dreamin', even if it breaks your heart."- Eli Young Band 



This past weekend I was blessed beyond measure. I got to walk down the isle and be by the side of my beautiful best friend as she married the love of her life. There was more smiles and laughs than I could count and a few happy tears. I was able to wear my awesome new cowboy boots- that was a long time coming. It's the little things that make me feel a little like myself again. 





I got to dance the night away with my husband and some of the people that mean the most to me. At the end of the night I noticed that I wore down the bottom of my new boots... And it gave me the biggest smile. 






My life isn't a "walk" in the park my any means. I still have more bad day than I admit. Days where I'm sick and have no energy for no reason at all... But non the less I love this life that I'm blessed to live. I love the people that make it worth living. I'm thankful for these struggles because of them I have found my strength.

So on to my progress; I'm walking pretty good for short distances around the house or in a controlled environment with someone nearby but I'm still in my chair 80% of the time. I prefer my walking sticks over my walkers. I'm working on building my endurance to walk further. I'm still using my AFO braces... Not as much as I should be tho lol. Bryan will often start singing Thriller when I'm walking lol. But it's progress and I'm proud of it.

I met with my neurologist last week. He was happy with my recovery and would like me to go back to physical therapy to make sure I'm on track. And I still have no reflexes- to me it's so weird to have someone wack your joints and to not jerk.

I do have a gym membership to the gym down the road. I trying to start a routine. I have enjoyed riding my power chair to there and around town. It's little bits of freedom that makes me feel like a normal person again... Even when I have my 4 year old nephew riding in my lap dressed as Iron Man lol.



I'm so proud of how far I have become. Bryan and I were talking about how happy we were that I no longer needed to use slide boards and I can easily move my self from point a to point b.

 I have been kept busy with- The Faces of Guillain Barre and I'm very grateful to everyone who sent me their stories and to all of you that have read and shared those inspiring testimonies. I love getting all of the messages thanking me for doing this and how it's helped them or a loved one. It's honestly my pleasure.

Thank you for the on going support and encouragement. It means more than you will ever know to have not been forgotten.