Pages

The Faces of Guillain Barré & CIDP 2018: Day 28- Helaine #94

Monday, May 28, 2018 0 Comments



35 years ago, I was stricken with GBS.  I was 18 years old.  I had just had the swine flu vaccine and started taking birth control.  I went from one week of being perfectly fine and a week later, the family priest was performing last rites on me.

Prior to my hospitalization, I felt weird unable to stand without holding on to something.  I went to the ER, got a shot of Lithium, prescribed Valium and was sent home.  The doctors thought it was psychosomatic but I knew I was not imagining it.  It was 1983.  It wasn't diagnosed until 6 weeks later I had GBS.  I was paralyzed from the eyes down.  They initially thought it could be Myasthenia Gravis or Bell Palsy.  My family wasn't given much hope I would survive but I knew I wasn't ready to die.  After 6 weeks in the ICU, I began to get feeling back all over my body.  It was painful to get a well meaning hugs.  To the clinical staff, I was a miracle.  Everyday was met with rigorous physical and occupational therapy. 

Over 8 weeks, I managed to leave the hospital walking with a cane.  I promised God if he got me through it and if ever a situation came that I could help someone like I was helped, I would.  10 years later, it did.  My career choice changed from wanting to be a attorney to becoming a respiratory therapy.  I treated my own GBS patient 2 years later.  Their condition was not as severe as mine was but I was still able to help. 

April 18 of this year marked 35 years.  I refer to it as my 2nd birthday since my life hasn't been the same since. It has made me stronger and more compassionate and it led me to a professional I loved doing until a IV pole came down on my back and I had to have back surgery that now has me walking with a cane. 






I lost my ability to give a full smile after GBS and still it hurts but I'm grateful to be able to walk.  I had some GBS patients who remains in a wheelchair.  Besides the occasional nerve pain, I'm doing better than most.  I'm married with a amazing husband and my son is about to graduate HS.  Something I never imagined would happen when I was 18 happened and I think I'm a better and stronger person for having lived through it and had been able to help those like me.



 Even though I live with pain, I try to still remain optimistic because of where I once was and where I am now.  I was counted out but I'm still here.  I continue to live.v My former career allowed me the opportunity to help others like me and although I am not able to continue with my career due to nerve damage post back surgery.  I try to educate those facing similar obstacles.
-Helaine Hunt Martin-Jack.