Pages

The Faces of Guillain Barré & CIDP 2018: Day 30- Kathy #97

Thursday, May 31, 2018 0 Comments


My Guillain Barre Story by- Kathy Cairns

On the morning of December 5th, 2014, I woke up and realized that I couldn't get out of bed. Terrified, I called out for my husband! He ran upstairs and asked what was wrong. I told him, and he and my son helped me down the stairs and into the car. We arrived at the Emergency Department, and I needed a wheelchair to get inside. Once I was taken back to a bed and examined by the resident, she put in a call to neurology. I had no idea what was happening! I called my sister. It was her birthday, but she got in her car and drove an hour to be with me.


The neurologist came, examined me and told me that I had Guillain Barre Syndrome. I had no idea what that was. She said that I would need a lumbar puncture for a proper diagnosis. My sister and I discussed it, but I wasn't comfortable with the resident doing it, as she seemed very nervous and clumsy. There was no way she was going to stick a needle in my spine! I refused and was soon admitted, and taken to a room.

The first thing that all of the doctors asked me was if  I had a flu shot. I said that I did not. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I was asked that question! It was almost like they didn't believe me.

I was quickly put into a room and all of the necessary IV's were put in. I believe that IVIG was administered then. The next day, a different neurologist came in to see me to convince me to get the lumber puncture. I remembered he was explaining to me what GBS was, and as he was doing so, I literally threw up! My sister got me a basin, and held back my hair, I think I got some on her shoes. We decided that I should have the spinal tap, but only, if anesthesia would do it. I had it done, but it would be a day or two for the results. Meanwhile, the IVIG was not working and I started to go downhill.

 I remember the pain in my body was so intense! I felt as though I was on fire from the inside out! Also, the back pain was excruciating!  My room was kept very cold, and I was so hot. Relatives needed to wear their coats when they visited.

The days leading up to that day when I couldn't get out of bed, I hadn't been feeling well. I had what felt like an upper respiratory infection, and was under a lot of stress. I was watching my two grandsons and just didn't feel well. I remember I tripped on a blanket and my big toe bent under. I thought I broke it. I was in a lot of pain so the next day I called my podiatrist and went in to see if my toe was broken. It wasn't but he gave me an injection in my foot to take some of the pain away. It seemed find after that. The next day I bent over to pick something up and had the most excruciating pain in my back. I could barely move! I took the next day off from babysitting, but when I woke up that's when I felt this weird tingling in my fingertips. I also felt a little weak. I called my family doctor and went in to see her later in the day. My doctor wasn't in, so I had to see someone else. I told her my symptoms and she was very rushed. She gave me a lidocaine injection in my back muscles and prescribed muscle relaxers. I remember that night dragging myself up the stairs to go to bed. When I woke up the next morning I couldn't get out of bed. I called for my husband and he had to help me. He called the doctor's office and they told me to go to the hospital. It took my husband and my son to help me down the stairs. By the time we got to the hospital, I couldn't walk. That's when my terrifying journey began!

When it was apparent that the IVIG wasn't working, I was taken to Interventional Radiology, where lines were put in my neck for plasmapheresis.  While trying to hook me up for my first treatment, a piece of skin fell from my site. My sister told me not to look, but you know when someone tells you not to look, you have to look! It was then that I had a panic attack and trouble swallowing.  The next thing I remember is waking up intubated and hooked up to a ventilator! My sister walked in and asked why I was awake. She wanted me sedated while intubated. I just looked at her with questioning eyes as I had no idea.


Apparently, my blood pressure was dangerously low and the doctor thought it best to keep me awake. I tried to breathe with the ventilator and not fight it. I thought that this would be for the best. Then, the praying began. I prayed so hard for my life. What else could  I do while lying there awake and listening to the sounds of machinery.

The next few days were critical! My sodium levels dropped, and it was touch and go! I continued to pray. Shortly after, I started having conversations with Jesus. He was by my bedside. My sister would come in and say "I don't know who you were talking to, but you were having a good conversation with somebody." I couldn't speak so I was unable to tell anyone. I knew that after those visits with Jesus or God, that I would be okay! I felt a calm that I hadn't experienced up until then!
Things started to turn around after that! I was taken off of the ventilator after a week. I was then transferred out of ICU and to a regular room. The Doctor said that it was a miracle that I survived! After a few weeks, I was sent to a rehab faciity, where I spent the next three and a half weeks as an impatient, relearning how to walk, dress myself, and get back to as close to normal as GBS would allow. It was hard work! I was at one of the best rehabs in the area and was very fortunate! I left the rehab with a walker and continued outpatient therapy for two more months. I graduated from the wheelchair, to the walker, then the cane, and finally no aides for walking.



I feel very fortunate in my recovery and feel great empathy for the disabled! My famiy and faith truly helped in my recovery! Although, I still have some residuals after three years, I can live with those, and I look forward to enjoying the rest of my life with my family and friends!