Pages

The Faces of Guillain Barré & CIDP 2018: Emanuel- Day 3- #70

Thursday, May 3, 2018 0 Comments



Some say that life is not always easy. It can be truth. However, it is what you do in the dark, that will put you in the light. Definitely! I was born in 9 September of 1989 at the beautiful Madeira, a small Island called “the Atlantic Pearl”. Before GBS, I used to be a very energetic child, always playing around with other kids. Tiredness or soreness did not exist in my dictionary. One day my parents took me to the circus. I was so excited to watch that spectacular show that when I arrived home, I did not even waste no time to replicate some of the schemes I have seen. I have fallen a few times but nothing have ever manage to take my happiness away.



Before being struck by GBS


It was in late December, 1995, that I had my first date with Guillain-Barré. Symptoms started from my lower limbs, when I was having trouble walking, and then falling until the day I had no strength to stand on both feet. My parents thought I was joking. It was so frustrating to feel that Christmas was arriving, and with it, all my innocent plans was sinking down. I was confused and scared. No one wants to explain to a 5 years old child that rough times are coming.

I still remember, the first day I was hospitalized, my father saying emotionally in my ear: “a man never cries”. That voice soar very deeply into my subconscious and made miracles. I have spent up to three months at the Funchal Center Hospital, at the fifth floor (place for children), supervised by the attention and care of the Doctors, Staff and of course, my parents. They have left everything behind to follow all my very slowly progress. It was all about hope and faith.

In the hospital with GBS


Being on a bed or a wheelchair and depending on others to do anything is not an easy task for a very energetic human being. It took time to be sure about the disease that was consuming me. Doctors did twice, one of the hardest exams no one wants to do: Lumbar puncture. The pain is unmatchable. Eventually they were sure, it was Guillain-Barré Syndrome, a very rare disease, and I was one of the first cases in Madeira.

We started a physiotherapy intensive program. I manage to a good recovery. First step, with the power in my arms and hands, I could now move alone on a wheelchair. Then we tried other exercises but it took time and patience to gain power back on my legs. It was at 6 years old when doctors advised my parents to put me into some swimming classes, that I gained almost all my power back. I could walk again and do all my life by my own. Despite until today I still have some sequels (trembling hands and I do not have the power in my feet to push them up), I can do any kind of sport, even football.

After GBS


It’s funny to think that with the right support by my side, I manage to not just recover from a very difficult disease, but more than that, I was exceling my limits every day, making myself a better, a faster and a stronger human being. I got fearless. I have built motivation trough my deepest moments. Once I have start my with trough sports, I have step into the Paralympic Swimming Events and I have won medals in every stage I have been in: National Championships, European and World Championships. I have also beaten a 3 European Records and 2 World Records in my main events.

Wold Champs 2010 Silver Medal 5km open water

Meeting the Prime Minister of Portugal 



If I have changed my life through the Sport, I am also investing in my academic career. I am taking a degree in Sports, at the University of Madeira. And, if it is not enough, I am a certified Swimming Teacher, and I am building a motivational speaking based on every single experience that life gave to me. I am so thankful for what I have today. For us, GBS Survivors, The sky is the limit.