Pages

The Faces of Guillain Barré & CIDP 2018: Day 19- Teresita #85

Saturday, May 19, 2018 0 Comments



Hello from Monterrey México, my name is Teresita Barrios i am 35 years old.

Before GBS 


I started feeling cramps on my right foot on final days of October 2016, after few days i feel the same cramps on my left foot, three more days passed and i started feeling the same cramps on my right hand, 2 days after the cramps passed to my left hand, and a day after i started my legs, feets, arms and hands really heavy and i felt like someone was stabbing me from inside, i felt like i was burning inside my lower parts on legs and arms, but honestly i thought that was part of my gastric bypass surgery that was realized on May 2016, but i went to see my surgeon and he made me take several tests and he told me that my health was really good but my problem was neurological because my left eye could not responded to a ligth, my hand was like claws, and by that time i was on wheelchair because my legs and arms were so clumsy, so he referred me to a Neurologist and he made me have a spinal tab, several blood test and both came clear, but he gave me a letter directed to my family doctor reconending that i needed  IVG treatment, so on December 2016 i was addmited and by the end of the treatment i barely could move my fingers foot. Then i went to see a therapist and then a raumatologist who in the same time recomended me my actual Neurologist who made me new EMG test and they came out really bad, so he asked me several questions of family health history, and then he asked me if after my bariatric surgery i got sick so i remembered that i got a really bad troath infection 3 months after my surgery. He told me that i had GBS due my troath infection, but my case was a mild but rare case because my symptoms escalated in months not hours or days as usual, so i satarted with my therapy and my medicine.

After GBS


After two months i started feeling again my feets, my hands started moving again, and finally after 8 months on wheelchair i started standing by myself and then i started going to the bathroom, then finally taking shower alone. Now after a year i am walking again with a cane because my feet look like they are made of jell-o. I am really blessed because my husband, my son, and all my husband family helped and still help me  during that painful process, honestly with my GBS i realized that i am stronger and on Saturday March 24th my Neurologist congratulated me because finally my right leg nerves started responding again. My muscles are perfectly fine dispite my low responding nerves, my strength on my knees, arms, hands and legs are really good. I am soo lucky because on my path through this horrible disease I have found some amazing people.

Thank you all for reading my GBS journey, i am praying for all who is suffering from GBS.