Pages

The Faces of Guillain Barre 2017: Day 26- Becki

Friday, May 26, 2017 0 Comments


I am nearly 7 yrs post GBS. I was Misdiagnosed twice before a doctor took me seriously and I was finally admitted to A&E. I was admitted straight into critical care as my breathing and speech were starting to go...just 2 days later i was on a ventilator via a tracheostomy ...this is where i stayed for 4 months. My lung collasped twice, had pneumonia 6 times and a blood clot. I was on the strongest pain medication including ketamine. I missed Christmas and new year. 

I dont remember alot just small snippets. After 4 months I left the safety on GCC and embarked on my rehab. I really did go from strength to strength, I had servere drop foot which I had botox for. After 3 months i discharged myself whilst on a walking frame and wheelchair. I continued my journey at home and after a year returned to work on a 6 month phase return. I went on to return as a full time enployee. I got married in August 2013 and my daughter followed in November 2014. Pregnancy was a scary prospect for me even though it was tonsillitis that triggered my GBS.