Pages

The Faces of Guillain Barre 2017: Day 25, Part 2- Connie

Thursday, May 25, 2017 0 Comments


Hi my name is Connie Savoy. I am 67 years old and my journey actually began 1 year before I became ill. My husband and I had retired and decided to move from ND to Tx to become a nanny for our grandkids. We packed everything into a uhaul and off we went.  


Before GBS 

The first year was like a dream. Everything went extremely well. Nice little home, good neighbors and a great church. Then on March 23rd 2015, I went to bed feeling fine and woke up the next morning and fell out of bed.  This is when my whole life changed. My husband picked me up and rushed me to the hospital. I hardly remember anything during the first 2 weeks. 

When I finally did open my eyes I was completely paralyzed from neck down.  Fear over came me and I remember wishing to die. I spent 3 weeks in the hosp and then 7 weeks in a nursing home.  I was on so much medicine for the pain that I would have terror dreams of being tortured and miss treated every night. When they released me to go home I still could not set up or roll over on my own.  I was in diapers and tons of pain. My husband took such good care of me but my family physician said there was no pain with GBS therefore he would not give me any meds. We had to find a new Dr, and he thought I was just there to get meds.  Nightmare for awhile but did get it straightened out.  Still no response in my body for movement. My next step was Herman Memorial TIRR.  I spent 3 weeks in this hosp getting the therapy I needed. This is where I found out I had AMAN. 


Physical Therapy 

Rehab help

They helped me learn to sit and transfer with a board.  However not near enough to help and the God stepped in and I got into TIRR out patient. I spent 13 months there 3 times a week.  
There I found a machine called a lokomat that takes your brain and spinal cord and helps them work together. 


Currently 

Today I have braces and a walker that I can go about 1000 feet with.  I can set up, roll over, dress myself and go to the bathroom. What a comeback.  I am starting aquatic therapy next week with hopes I can still get better.  I would not wish this on anyone but it has taught me to appreciate everything in my life.  I take no movement for granted.  To fed oneself, to move arms, to itch your nose all are gifts from God and I am so grateful. Hopefully my journey is not over yet but how blessed I am to be where I am.