Pages

Day 2- The Faces of Guillain Barré- Alison Story

Monday, May 2, 2016 0 Comments





My name is Alison Behan, I am 17 years old and I'm from Ireland. I got GBS in 2014 when I was just 15. It came upon me so quickly, one day being so able and the next to be completely bed bound. 


Before GBS

None of the doctors had ever really treated a patient with GBS before. I went through 2 round of immunoglobulin and was transferred into the intensive care unit. They were very close to ventilating me but I fought hard and thankfully didn't have to to be ventilated. I spent 7 weeks in hospital fighting hard against such a debilitating illness just like you and all the other GBS survivors had to do.




I had days where I wanted to give up so much but my family really encouraged me to fight and that's what I did. I made a huge recovery going from the wheelchair to a walker to crutches in about 5 weeks after being left out of the hospital. I am everyday thankful for my recovery and look back on that time with a bitter sweet outlook, even though it was so hard it has made me grow as a person.  


After GBS

Thank you for listening to my story!

Alison lives in Ireland. If you would like to contact her email me- Justine at justinesgbsjourney@gmail.com