Pages

Day 27- The Faces of Guillain Barre: Alyssa's Story

Friday, May 27, 2016 0 Comments
I have been following your account for a few weeks now on instagram. 
Daily I go on there and just read, read everyone's stories, symptoms and pain management. I like to read about everyone's stories with Guillain Barre Syndrome because I like to know my enemy. 



I'm a 26 year old mom of 2 little boys. One Is 5 and the other is just 4 months old. I was diagnosed with this horrific "thing" as I call it just 3 weeks after my newest was born. He was born January 1st, second happiest day of my life and then this happens. It all started with a tingle in my fingers almost as if I slept on my hands, I guess you could say I was lucky because my paralysis didn't come on so quickly but it came on over the period of 14 days, every day a part of my body would stop working, not only was I paralyzed my sensory nerves are damaged as well so I can no longer feel hot or cold Like I did before. 

I knew something wasn't right and between January 16th and January 28th I was in and out of hospitals everyday only to be told I had post partum depression and to go home and take medication. Because being told it was all in my head at the end of it i really thought I was going crazy. I remember laying there saying to myself "if this is post partum I need electric shock therapy because this is so real to me" .. I finally went to see my OB on January 28th and told her I didn't wanna live this way and I needed serious help (I thought I was losing my mind) she did an examination and seen I had no upper or lower reflexes and she took her pen (I remember this vivdly ) and she drew on the bottom of my feet and I couldn't feel a thing, anyone who knows me knows if you touch my feet I'm not responsible for what happens to your face, she then phoned a nerologist who wanted to see me right away, most people would be terrified but I wasn't.

 I was so happy that finally someone was listening to me. I had a series of tests, spinal tap, mri and nerve conduction tests all results came back with Guillain baŕre syndrome. I didn't know too much about it until my days in the hospital where I would ask every question known to man.



 But writing this tires my hands but it feels good to talk about it and get it out there, I'm still so new to this and some days are better than others but to all the newer survivors & sufferers, and to those who may be sent or were sent back home with no answers. You know your body more than anyone else so fight for it ❤