Pages

Day 9- The Faces of Guillain Barre: Taylor's Story

Monday, May 9, 2016 0 Comments
I'm Taylor and I was diagnosed with GBS on October 24, 2007. I was 11 years old when it happened. I had come home from school and it was around 5pm and after dinner. The Nightmare Before Christmas was on Disney Channel and I was allowed to stay up to watch it. After the movie was over, I was getting up off the couch and I felt a painful shock in my back. I laid down in the floor and stretched out thinking it was a pulled muscle or something. The pain grew increasingly worse until I was in tears and screaming for my mom and dad. 

 2006- Before GBS

My dad called 911 and my mom was asking me questions. The ambulance wasn't going to make it in time so my dad had my uncle assist me to the car. I couldn't walk so they carried me. I blacked out on the way to the E.R. When we got there, the security guard refused us a wheelchair so my dad raised hell. We waited hours until about 2am and then we saw the doctor. The doctor, his name I will release because of his malpractice, Dr. Vickers, saw us and took out a needle and proceeded to poke and jab at the bottoms of my feet. When I saw him wiping blood from my feet, I panicked and started to cry. My mom asked him why he did what he did and his answer was "it's a precaution to see if she's faking injury". Needless to say, he's no longer a doctor anymore. 

I was then evaluated by three doctors and then sent to Children's Hospital of Birmingham in Birmingham, Alabama. There, I was admitted into the ICU where I stayed for 2 weeks. I received plasma treatments and 4 spinal taps. Children's is also the people who did my first ACL surgery. I was discharged late November of 2007. I was transferred, medically, to UAB Highlands where I received another ACL surgery, corrective toe surgery, and a foot surgery that tore my tendon from surgery #1 and required 69 stitches + a wound vac. 

2007- During GBS

I went from bed ridden, to wheelchair, to walking with 2 braces assisted, to 2 braces unassisted, to now 1 ankle brace unassisted in 8.5 years. I went to my senior prom with one heel, one surgical boot from the previous surgery, I graduated high school and walked across that stage without a brace at all, and I made it to college where I am getting my associates degree in Child Development, I also just acquired a job at Sam's Club where I meet wonderful people and work with the most kindest of staff who I love working with.


I am thankful every day for my accomplishments.