Pages

Day 23-Faces of Guillain Barre: Holly F's Story

Monday, May 23, 2016 0 Comments



I was diagnosed with GBS just 20 days after the birth of my daughter. I was 26 years old. It started as a tingle in my finger and just 24 hours later I could barely walk anymore. Within 72 hours I was breathing on a ventilator in ICU. I spent almost 3 months there paralyzed from the neck down. 




I was severely depressed that I couldn't be a mother to my baby. But when I started to recover I realized I needed to work hard to get back to my baby. I spent ten weeks in physiotherapy and after 126 days total in the hospital I returned home to being a mother. I had an incredible recovery and was walking again with 5 months. I now see my experience with GBS as a blessing, as it made me appreciate my life and live it to the absolutely fullest.



See below for my GBS video. Thanks 😊

https://youtu.be/huN8iIWXNCs




Holly wrote a book about her experience with Guillain Barré Syndrome- "Happily Ever After"


Here is a link to her website: https://hollygerlach.com/