Pages

Day 28- The Faces of Guillain Barre: Angie's Story

Saturday, May 28, 2016 0 Comments

I enjoy reading your story and all of your inspirational messages! I have attached my video which tells my GBS story! It all started in Oct. of 2014 and I am still recovering. I was having horrible headaches, blurred vision, achy body... Then the numbness and tingling started. I went to one ER to be turned away, went to another on Monday, and by Thursday was paralyzed up yo my eyes and placed on life support where I spent the next two-three weeks in a drug induced haze with vivid hallucinations. 

Before GBS

I spent 145 days in the hospital, spent the next 10 months in physical therapy. I went from power wheel chair, to walker, to quad cane, to cane, to AFOs only. I still live my life with wearing AFOs but I try and push life to its fullest. My story is a bit unique as I was bite by a tick and contracted Lyme disease, doctors believe that was what triggered my GBS. Not only was I fighting GBS but my body was fight Lyme disease, as well. A double whammy. 

During GBS

Before I was sick I was a huge runner, having ran multiple halves and a full marathon I dream of getting back there. I now enjoy, swimming, biking, and les mills body pump classes. 

I have two kids age 6 and 2 and I try and never say "I can't" around them! GBS has changed my life forever, not a day goes by that I do not think or speak of this life experience but I will forever be an advocate, raise awareness, and remain hopeful that I may be put on that race course once again! 

Current